Lembit Öpik was born 1965-03-02 in Bangor, County Down and is now a prominent member of the Liberal Democrat party. He is the member for Montgomeryshire in Parliament, and the Shadow Secretary of State for Wales and Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Island.

His engagement with Sian Lloyd ended in December 2005 when news of his affair with a member of the Cheek Girls became public.

He attended The Royal Belfast Academical Institution and then read Philosophy at the University of Bristol, gaining a 2i, and also served as the President of the Students' Union.

He was elected to Newcastle city council in 1992, and stood for Newcastle Central in the 1992 General Election and Northumbria in the 1994 European Elections. He was selected for Montgomeryshire in September 1996, and became MP in the 1997 election, and re-elected in 2001 and 2005. He currently has 51% of the vote, a 24% majority. During the early months of the 2005 parliament, he introduced a Private Member's Bill, in an attempt to lower the voting age to 16, which failed to proceed to parliament by 8 votes.

He has appeared on the popular news quiz Have I got News For You twice, aswell as numerous other television programmes, making him one of the best-known Liberal Democrats in the country.

He is a keen paraglider, and came close to death in 1998 when he fell approximately 80 feet and broke his back in 12 places. He has since taken a keen interest in the Spinal Injuries Association. This experience doesn't appear to have engendered a fear of heights, as he pilot's licence and speaks for British Gliding in the house of commons. He also has an interest in motorbikes.

Here is a quick round-up of a couple of issues that he has spoken strongly about:
  • Asteroids: £70,000,000 to track them, to avoid collisions
  • Hunting with hounds: No ban, but regulatory agency