I also have to say that this movie did not completely suck. I understand why many people didn't like it; it was slow-paced and had LOTS of dialog.

I enjoyed it for the art, and because it did make me think. A lot. Some of what I thought about I'll be noding at some point:
Sex is a family value
Faithful doesn't mean you're not attracted to anyone else
Communication is key.

The one place where I think this movie failed in something it attempted to do was the mystery. I knew exactly who the woman at the rich perverts' party was. I knew exactly who the two people that nodded to Tom Cruise at that same party were. Okay, I admit I didn't know that they really weren't going to hurt his family, so there's one success.

Sure, there are a lot of questions unanswered, like what is Domino going to do now, and what really happened between the owner of Rainbow costumes and the guys who were with his daughter (Leelee Sobieski) (I suspect they gave him a lot of money, but who knows). But the movie is a slice of life, not a big fat expose of it. We don't learn all these things because Cruise's character doesn't learn them. And ultimately, they don't matter; what matters is his adventure, and his wife's dream, and how they deal with them after.

A personal complaint is that I kept waiting for Nicole Kidman to be a part of the story again, but she wasn't really. She was a catalyst; he would never have done what he did that night if she hadn't told him about the Naval officer she'd been so attracted to. On the other hand, I think if she'd told him in the first place (instead of months later while smoking pot), they would have had some great sex together and put it behind them, as they were planning at the end of the film.