The X-files

Our Town
Episode: 2X24
First aired:05/12/95
Written by: Frank Spotnitz
Directed by: Rob Bowman

George Kearns is led into the woods by a woman, Paula. Suddenly he is surrounded by lights and sees a man in a tribal mask. He screams as an ax comes flashing down.

It turns out that Kearns, a federal inspector, was about to suggest closing down Chaco Chicken, a local processing plant at the heart of the community. Mulder investigates his disappearance.

Mulder and Scully talk to the sheriff who says that it wouldn’t be weird if Kearns just ran away with some girl. Kearns’s wife agrees. Later Paula starts to hallucinate on the assembly line in Chaco Chicken and takes the plant manager hostage but the sheriff shoots her.

Scully gets permission from Paula’s grandfather, Mr. Chaco, to perform an autopsy. Her birth records show that she is actually 47 years old and that she is suffering from the same extremely rare fatal disease, Creutzfeldt-Jaccob, that Kearns had.

Mulder decides to drag the nearby river and they find nine headless skeletons, one of them is Kearns’s. The bones seem to have been boiled. Mulder notes that 87 people have disappeared in the area over 59 years and that the polished bones suggest cannibalism and that many tribes believe that cannibalism results in eternal life.

Mulder visits Chaco’s house and finds a display case filled with human heads. Scully goes to Kearns’s wife who fears Mr. Chaco.

Chaco captures Scully when she arrives at Kearns’s house. She is bound and gagged and leads her to a bonfire ceremony attended by numerous townsfolk. They behead Chaco and plan to do the same to Scully.

Mulder rushes to the scene and shoots the executioner who turns out to be the sheriff.

27 people have become infected with the fatal disease which shows the cannibalism to be prevalent in the community.


Important Quotes:
Scully -- "They're sending us on some kind of a wild goose chase."
Mulder -- "Chicken chase."

Mulder -- "...It gave me nightmares."
Scully -- "I didn't think anything gave you nightmares."
Mulder -- "Well, I was young."

Scully -- "I just came up with a sick theory, Mulder."
Mulder -- "Oooo, I'm listening!"


Back to The X-files: Season 2