1904-1997 Dutch born, one of the 20th Century Painters, spent most of his life in America

Born in Rotterdam, he apprinticed in commercial art from the time he was 12 till he was 20. He had formal training at the Rotterdam Academy. In 1926, he stowed away on a boat headed for New York. There he worked as a sign painter and house painter to make a living. In 1935, he got involved with the Federal Art Project designed to help artists caught in the Great Depression.

He met and made fast friends with Arshile Gorky, whose work became an influence in Willem's own paintings. In his early career, the subject was clothed men. Some of this was inspired by Gorky, Pablo Picasso and others. In 1935, he was employed in the mural and easel divisions of the Works Projects Administration Federal Art Project

He was very much a part of the New York Art world in the early 20th Century. He was married to artist Elaine De Kooning and in many references it's always "Willem and Elaine De Kooning." He first painted in the Cubist style. One of the leaders of Abstract Expressionism and also part of Action Painting, he and Jackson Pollock were rivals. Spent some time at Black Mountain College because John Cage invited him there. He used the media of printmaking. de Kooning and Pollock were among a number of artists who were 'discovered' and represented by Peggy Guggenheim.

Also see:

His work is held in the permanent collection of many institutions, including:

Related Nodes:

He developed Alzeimers in later life, yet continued to produce new work. He died in 1997.

Sources: http://www.si.edu/i+d/dekooning.html http://art-meets-art.net/art/willem-de-kooning.html Last Updated 05.01.04