In 1902, the graduating class of Northwestern University decided to leave a permanent mark on campus. To achieve that goal, they obtained a six-foot tall boulder and, as their class gift, used it to create a drinking fountain at the center of campus. That boulder is now known as The Rock.

If they were return today, not only would they be amazed at how the campus has grown, they might not even recognize the Rock itself. Not only has it been moved since they placed it, but the Rock is also a different color than it was in those days. And a different color than it was yesterday. And the day before.

That's because it has become a cherished Northwestern tradition for campus groups of all kinds - student organizations, dorms, fraternities and sororities, even sports teams - to paint the Rock, covering it in color and symbols or messages.

This tradition began in the 1940's, and quickly gained steam despite official disapproval. Eventually, the administration gave in to reality and acknowledged the new tradition.

As painting the Rock became more and more popular, groups founds themselves competing for paint time. By the late 80's, the most important part of the tradition was not the painting itself, but guarding the rock before and after to establish painting rights. Sometime around noon, a claim staker would begin the first watch, and other members of the group would take shifts until the wee hours of the morning. Then the painting would begin. The job was not complete, however, until the last guard shift ended at dawn and the rock painters went home to get dressed for class.

Over the years, the Rock has seen many colorful and creative designs, and became a focal point for student expression from mundane to profound. Unfortunately, so did the grounds and buildings nearby. Everything from accidental spills to overzealous painting spurred the University to take action to curb future vandalism.

In the summer of 1989, when few students were on campus, the administration brought in a crane to move the Rock 30 feet to be placed in a special gravel-floored enclosure. During the move, the Rock cracked, and the student body was enraged. The Rock is still there, however, and still serves as a focus of campus life.