Off the hook. Despite getting only about 5 hours sleep, I woke on time, and was only ~5 minutes late to work at 7AM. (Statistically, that's early, for me.) There was a training meeting for emergency evacuation procedures; I was concerned I might nod off, when they turned the lights off and started with the transparencies... But no, the whole show lasted maybe 10 minutes and I stayed conscious throughout. I didn't even have that not-enough-sleep-dry-eyes-fuzzy-tongue feeling.
Another job well-done. Finshed up the quarterly vendor performance evaluation for all the raw material suppliers. This has taken all month (on top of my normal daily duties) because no one here knows how to do a simple mail merge. Having this behind me means I can start a database, so I never have to manually format a letter to each vendor again. (It might even have been faster to hammer out the database beforehand, but THEY are always all like "iiiii, you can do it YOUR way after you have done it MY way, iiiii".) Note to self: Node Blue Oyster Cult's Astronomy lyrics.
Reading is fundamental. Last time I was at the bookstore, THEY were all out of 2600. Today is no improvement. I'll just have to console myself with a copy of the latest Heavy Metal. Last time I bought HM, I paired it up with a copy of Penthouse, and the Penthouse was a real disappointment. I'll give it another chance today. (I think I inherited this from my maternal grandfather; he always had a Penthouse or two by his recliner in the TV room, and one of my uncles left an apartment full of gay porn when he died of alcohol poisoning.) Linux Journal rounds out my selection. A last look around by the checkout, and a bargain book catches my eye: The Art of Creative Thinking. OK, I'll bite, it's only $6...