Guess what, friends. Smokers ALL KNOW that smoking is bad. That it causes lung cancer. Heart disease. Low birth weight in children. We all know all of it. We also know that we're stupid to keep smoking but we do it anyway because we like it. That's the whole big reason. It's not a political statement, it's not an intentionally anti-social behavior, it's nothing but an addiction. And did I mention that we like it? And guess what else. We know it stinks. Most of us don't like the smell any better than the rest of you do. So we're polite about it, some of us. We don't smoke in front of non-smokers, even if we're outside. We buy Altoids by the case. We put our long hair up in a ponytail before we light up so that our heads won't stink when we go back inside. (Where it's heated and/or air conditioned.) And while I'm ranting, non-smokers have already pretty much had smoking done away with everywhere but in a smoker's own car or house anyway, at least in most of the United States. We don't smoke in office buildings, restaurants, theatres, hell...ANYwhere lest we wish to pay an enormous fine. For killing ourselves. Which we can't afford because we spend all our money on cigarettes. Nothing like kicking one when one's down, hm?
I know smoking is gross and bad and expensive and stinky and not a good idea. All smokers do. But we like it. We aren't the driving force behind big-business tobacco companies setting their advertising target age-range younger and younger every year. We don't want kids to smoke. We don't want to impose smoking on ANYone, fortheloveofgod. We just want to kill ourselves and go broke and reek in our own homes or cars while we curse ourselves for our addictive personalities in peace. And to heck with people who have never had an addiction who say things like, "so QUIT, you stupidfuckingmorons!" It truly doesn't work like that for most people. And besides, some of us like smoking and we don't want to quit. So shut up already.