I feel much the same way. I think that Robert Jordan drew just as heavily on Dune for his ideas as he did on Mythology, Teutonic, in particular.

To add a few more:


The rearrangement of power bases: Both Rand al'Thor and Paul Atreides change the fundamental political power in their worlds. Paul brings the Emperor to his knees and Rand runs around collecting nations like a kid in a candy store, forging his own empire in the process. Just as Paul denies the power and integrity of the Bene Gesserit, so does Rand refuse to be yoked by the White Tower.

ancestral memory: Just as Muad'Dib and Leto II have all the memories of their ancestors jiggling around in their melons after being exposed to the Water of Life, so does Mat Cauthon (Mat's metamorphosis exhibits a mirror-shattering resemblance to Odin). After hanging from the Tree of Life at Rhuidean he is imbued with memories from the Age of Legends, most of them having to do with Manetheren, the nation once occupying his homeland, and an assortment of colorful metaphors that no one understands anymore, except maybe Birgitte and some of the Forsaken.

The spice melange and the One Power The spice melange is a drug which gives it's user amplified powers of perception and has geriatric properties, it's also necessary for the powers of ftl space travel, precognition, and the abilities of mentats. It's more addictive than heroin, and the users die without it.

The One Power is a force that can be tapped by certain people, granting them sorcerous abilities. While wielding it, it grants the user amplified powers of perception. Those who use the power often live for over a century and, in many cases, longer i.e. it's geriatric. People who wield the power become extremely addicted to the true source and long to tap it. Those who are stilled and can no longer touch the source usually die of sadness or live in misery.

3rd person omniscient perspective The books of both series are written from the same viewpoint. 3rd person with a shifting point of view, sometimes looking through the eyes of the protagonists and sometimes the enemies. Though there is always a key character around which the story revolves, they are also both ensembles, with no real starring role. Whatever the viewpoint, you're privy to the thoughts and feelings of whoever you're following, including all their biases. Both series, especially WOT are fraught with dramatic irony and foreshadowing and both display complex, intertwining relationships between the main characters.