Spirit of Life - Reflections on 9/11/2001

While at a candle light vigil held at the First Unitarian Universalist Society of Marietta this evening, I had the following hymn enter my mind when the minister mentioned something briefly about the spirit of life that is still in us. The words have yet to leave my mind.

Spirit of Life, come unto me.
Sing in my heart all the stirrings of compassion.
Blow in the wind, rise in the sea;
move in the hand, giving life the shape of justice.
Roots hold me close; wings set me free;
Spirit of Life, come to me, come to me.

For me, these words are beyond fitting for the atrocities that happened today.

"Spirit of Life, come unto me." Let me not be lost in the death that occurred today. Remind me that there are still those living, those that need help, support, and complete love. Remind me that I am still living, that I cannot behave as though I am not, despite the tragedy and loss.

"Sing in my heart all the stirrings of compassion." Let me have compassion for the innocents caught in the World Trade Center buildings, the Pentagon, the planes that were turned into killing machines. And for the families and friends of those people. For all those touched by these horrendous events. And let me also have compassion for those innocents that may yet pay the blood price for the actions of others. If the United States goes to war - as is being hotly postulated - there will be countless more innocents lost because of the actions of a few people in power.

"Blow in the wind, rise in the sea." As rescue personnel work to find and hopefully save all those trapped within the remains of the towers of the World Trade Center, let cleansing winds carry away the despair as they will the ash. By this I by no means intend carry away the memory of the tragedy or the feelings of loss, but rather let all those effected by the events of today be able to grieve and thus eventually heal. Crippling despair will not help, but grieving will.

"Move in the hand, giving life the shape of justice." Let those who are in power and will be the ones to give the answer to this horrific disaster truly act to bring justice - not blind, reactionary revenge. Let justice be visited upon those who truly are responsible, and not upon the heads of more innocents.

"Roots hold me close, wings set me free." May the families, friends, and loved ones of all affected by today's events hold to each other; talk, cry, rail at the unfairness of it all, love, and grieve. May those who have died in this catastrophe be remembered with love and fond memories, and not a blinding desire for revenge - now is the time for healing.

"Spirit of Life, come to me, come to me."

May the Divine Spirit - in whatever form you know that to be - give you peace and healing in this time of loss and pain.

Originally posted in my online diary at: http://ladypoetess.diaryland.com/spiritlife.html