- you can type /msg JerboaKolinowski (no, seriously!) to message me
- please do this if you have an opinion, comment, suggestion, correction or (especially!) a critique for one of my writeups
- or if you have any other questions you think I might be able to answer
- or if you just feel like it
- in short:
New to E2? Here, we can learn by clicking on things!
"Jerboa Kolinowski is an imaginary philosopher invented in dubious circumstances some time before the 1980s. His one known pronouncement at that time was the gnomic utterance "seriousness is an honesty of forms," possibly indicating a vaguely Wittgensteinian viewpoint" (it says here.)
Philosophical nodes expressing my views:
- Reflection principle
- Inverse spectrum argument
- The problem of logical fatalism
- "No" is a complete sentence
- Some thoughts about the Language of Thought
- Sorites Paradox
- An Argument Against Pragmatic Critiquing
Noders not to pick an argument with:
- ariels - You can argue, but will you understand the response?
"Learning is like being an iron stake held due north and being hit on the head with a hammer."
Sometimes, however, capitulation is immediate, graceful, and satisfyingly complete:
2002.03.05 at 15:17 ariels says POMO PHILOSOPHERS `RIGHT ALL
ALONG'; DEPTS OF MATHEMATICS AND PHYSICS TO
DISBAND THURSDAY. (AP) In a shocking letter to
Physical Review Letters (series C) this morning,
prepublished at http://arxiv.org, a group of prominent
2002.03.05 at 15:19 ariels says and mathematicians announced "the
disbanding of the fields of mathematics and physics". Offering
only "a profound apology", Prof. R. Penrose of Oxford
announced his new course on Derridean Ethics, mentioning
also that "all tilings are
2002.03.05 at 15:21 ariels says periodic." Prof. S. Shelakh of HUJI was
at a loss to explain how confusion about levels of precedence
had caused Gödel's proof to be accepted; "Gödel coding is
clearly wrong, and we request nobody use ASCII encoding until
2002.03.05 at 15:21 ariels says we resolve this situation". (cont. page ?)
- Cletus the Foetus - Guaranteed to get you tied in knots - and it's you who'll be doing the tying.
- Gone Jackal - You may supplement his views, but not correct them. Oh no.
- Gritchka - Knows everything.
- jderrida - 'nuff said.
One asks, Why should such disparate groups as the Soviet Union and the U.S. intelligence community back the same man? I am no political theoretician, but Nicholas one time said, "They both like figureheads who are corrupt. So they can govern from behind. The Soviets and the fuzz, they're all for shadow governments. They always will be, because basically each of them is the man with the gun, the pistol to the head."
No one had put a pistol to Ferris Fremont's head. He was the pistol itself, pointed at our head. Pointed at the people who had elected him. Behind him stood all the cops in the world, the left-wing cops in Russia, the right-wing cops in the United States. Cops are cops. There are only divisions of rank, into greater and lesser. The top cop is probably never seen.Balzac said that behind every great fortune there is a great crime. I would amend that and say that behind any great movement of American history there is crime.
These spiritual window-shoppers,
who idly ask, 'How much is that?' Oh, I'm just looking.
They handle a hundred items and put them down,
shadows with no capital.
What is spent is love and two eyes wet with weeping.
But these walk into a shop,
and their whole lives pass suddenly in that moment,
in that shop.
Where did you go? "Nowhere."
What did you have to eat? "Nothing much."
Even if you don't know what you want,
buy something, to be part of the exchanging flow.
Start a huge, foolish project,
It makes absolutely no difference
what people think of you.
Rumi, 'We Are Three', Mathnawi VI, 831-845
I use these heuristics, listed here in case they prove useful.
- vote for the ages
- when E2 is timing out, nagle at the user layer
- not too much boundary posturing and social grooming
- consult the oracle when you get stuck
- change your nodes when no-one is looking.
The Catbox thinks:
- On buying software from PC World:
<amnesiac> I agree, the only reason i get
my s/w from #irc leech crack channels is
that the technical support is usually better
- On web design:
<mat catastrophe> applets are sin.
sin is communism. communism is
drug money that supports terror.
terror is not listening to your
- On semantic opacity:
<vuo> checking the dictionary one
word by one, I find nothing
Thought for the day: If the being of phenomena is not the phenomenon of being, is the sytem of phenomena different from the phenomenon of system? No, they are the same in all essential characteristics. System is the same everywhere. Old thoughts: [today is not a good day for thinking] "E2 is in some ways very like a frontier town." "E2: towards a connectionist Academy!" "linking is punctuation." "Always press 'home' before hitting 'talk'."
For your amusement, some other nodes I've pleased myself with:
- Pythagorean comma My 23 cents
- boundary posturing An academic perspective on AYB
- social grooming A small, bitter, comment on the futility of language
- E-space A poor attempt to lay the groundwork for a mathematical theory of Everything
- The third wor*d war A remarkable book, which you really should read
- argue Staking a modest claim for philosophy as the ultimate source of all knowledge
- cangue Every home should have one
- fractual Logicism is bull - noticing the credibility gap
- Sir Henry At Rawlinson End Essential
- The Very Model of an Eliminative Materialist Ontological filk
- Of First and Last Noders Short fiction about a forbidden topic
- Duck-rabbit Now you see it ...
_-"""-._ ' `. / @ \ c'"--...________.* } `-..____________ / ......------""" ) (__.....---"""""_ / `._ / ) \