A creature in the excellent comic book The Maxx by Sam Kieth. The comic deals with different worlds that seem to be the sub-conscience (or outback) of the various characters. The Is live in the Maxx's outback. The evil Mr. Gone finds a way to not only run around in other people's outbacks, but to also bring the Is into the "real world". The Is are white in the outback but turn more evil and black when brought into our world. Also, the plural of Is is Isz, which according to Sam should rhyme with whiz.

IS, written with capital letters, is an abbreviation for Information Services, one of many names for the department of an organization which provides support for the use of computers and information technology within the organization.

See also IT, IS/IT, CIS, C&M.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the, - if he, - if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not - that is not the only one thing. It means there is none. That was a completely true statement."

William Jefferson Clinton, President of the United States of America, August 1998



A little explanation is in order here. Clinton's lawyer (Robert Bennett) had said in response to Monica Lewinsky's affadavit to the Starr Enquiry - "There is absolutely no sex of any manner, shape or form."

When Bill was asked if this was true, he answered as reported above.

Is (?), v. i. [AS. is; akin to G. & Goth. ist, L. est, Gr. , Skr. asti. . Cf. Am, Entity, Essence, Absent.]

The third person singular of the substantive verb be, in the indicative mood, present tense; as, he is; he is a man. See Be.

In some varieties of the Northern dialect of Old English, is was used for all persons of the singular.

For thy is I come, and eke Alain. Chaucer.

Aye is thou merry. Chaucer.

The idiom of using the present for future events sure to happen is a relic of Old English in which the present and future had the same form; as, this year Christmas is on Friday.

To-morrow is the new moon. 1 Sam. xx. 5.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.