Yesterday evening a girl came in the store, younger than me but old enough, and I sold her a pack of Marlboro menthol. As I gave her the change, she said "I like your pants." I realized I had on my "golfer pants" (anyone who has come in my store and seen me in them knows...), and I replied "Yeah, they're old-fashioned, huh?"

And then the tone of her voice changed somehow, just slightly. "I like old-fashioned things," she said. I felt myself blush, and like a nerd all I could say in return was "So do I," as I began to take notice that she was dressed retro too.

We locked eyes and there was... chemistry. She had this odd little half-grin, and I'm sure I did too, and for that moment time and the world just seemed to stop. My mind and heart flooded with - not solid memories - but just good warm happy feelings of nostalgia about my "college and coffee shop days" when I was so much more carefree.

I don't know if it was her short messy hair, or our matching retro styles, or maybe just her calm sweetness, but something triggered those happy feelings. I didn't think to ask for her name, and I doubt I'll ever even see her again, but the compliment and the moment made my whole week, and I can't help thinking that I could handle being with someone like her.

Maybe what they say is true; when you're not looking is when it comes to you.