A villain published by DC Comics. Heat Wave first appeared in The Flash #140 in 1963.

The tragic story of Rory Calhoun and his turn to a criminal career is a dire warning to the under-funding of our school systems. Had the school system had better funding, the children in Calhoun's class would likely have taken a field trip to the zoo, science museum, or the state capital. But one can only imagine it was due to state budget cuts that Calhoun's class was taken to a meat-packing plant for a field trip.

During the tour, Calhoun wandered away from the group (which good little boys and girls never do) and accidently got locked in a meat locker. Trapped for a long time and unable to escape, Calhoun found that he was only able to stay warm by blowing into his hands. When he was finally found, Calhoun was scarred by the incident and had a fear of being cold and so became obsessed with heat. To this end, he decided to seek a career that would allow him to be in contact with heat all the time. Rather than choosing a profitable career path in the steel industry or a vulcanoligist, Calhoun decided to be a fire-eater.

Over time, Calhoun decided to that he may have pursued the wrong career and decided to become a hardened criminal. Dressed in a fire suit to protect him from the flames, Calhoun created a gun that acted as a flame thrower and adopted the identity of Heat Wave. The fact that he chose to start his criminal career in Central City, the home of the Silver Age Flash, shows a continued tendancy for Calhoun to make bad choices. He clashed with the hero on many occasions and even got in a competition with fellow Rogues Gallery member Captain Cold.

Eventually, Calhoun reformed and became an upright citizen working as a fireman in Central City and a friend of Barry Allen, the Flash. The fact that a man who loved fires was given a job as a fireman makes one wonder at the background checks done by the Central City fire department. Calhoun lived an uneventful life for a number of years.

After the disappearance of the Silver Age Flash, Calhoun and the original members of the Rogues Gallery were approached by Abra Kadabra and offered great power. Calhoun's decision making skills were still in full swing and he accepted finding himself caught in a plot by the demon Neron to defeat the new Flash Wally West. Calhoun and the others were killed and returned to earth with great power, but no souls. They were eventually returned to normal after West defeated Neron.