It is not completely true that the Britain and France wanted to crush Germany.

The French President, Clemencau, wanted to inflict punishment on Germany for the losses that France had suffered during the war. The French was also affected by a long running rivalry between France and Germany.

The British Prime Minister, Lloyd George, came round to Wilson's way of thinking, however it was too late by then to change the already largely decided treaty.

Although Lloyd George was too slow in changing his mind and his still partly to blame I think that to include him under the sweeping statement

crushing it(Germany) as the Allies wanted to do
is too harsh. In addition the Allies in WWI were Britain, France and America, not just Britain and France.

Also although Wilson put forward the extremely laudable fourteen points he showed little interest in trying to get either Britain or France to accept them. One of Wilson's fourteen points was the founding of "The League of Nations", an organisation to prevent future World Wars and to maintain the peace of Europe. Ironically the American senate voted against America joining this organisation. This was the final blow for any hope of a real instigation of any of Wilson's points. Without America The League of Nations had no Chairman and was used just as a diplomatic tool to "get one up" on other non-members.