The Moulin Rouge Hotel was named after the famous Moulin Rouge (Red Windmill) of Paris. The Moulin first opened October 6, 1889, as a music hall, in a building with a windmill motif. This was a symbol of Louis XIV's reign, during which period the hills of Montmartre were covered with windmills. Another distinctive feature outside the building was a large stucco elephant. Male guests who climbed into the elephant's belly via a spiral staircase found a room with a belly dancer.

Slightly skewed, erotic excess was the mode of le Moulin Rouge indoors as well, as evidenced by its most famous performance: the Can-Can! -- and the man whose posters made it famous, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. Other stars of the establishment included the salacious Mistinguett (once the highest-paid female performer in the world) and an icon of crude humor, Le Petomane (a "fartiste!").

Although the Moulin is no longer at the cutting edge of entertainment as it once was, it is still a major tourist attraction, as well as a piece of history. Several films have been made about the music hall and the can-can, including a 2001 film of the above title starring Nicole Kidman.

Recordings from the old Moulin Rouge may be heard at http://www.retroactive.com/may98/moulin.html