Don't be so quick to bail on a universe you like. A civilization capable of creating a hyperspace bridge to another universe would certainly be capable of more efficiently utilizing the dimensions inherent in our own.

In particular, the temporal extent of the universe is dependent upon the quantum state of each particle it contains. Due to superposition, you wind up with a universe whose duration is not fixed. The trick is somehow making sure our that, from our perspective, the appropriate wave functions collapse into a state that extends the life of our universe by several z-scores from the mean. Not that this is easy, but we have a long time to worry about it.

To stretch an analogy, imagine that we are one-dimensional beings (because temporally, we are), living in a universe shaped like a two-dimensional trapezoid. As the universe collapses, it is in our best interests to be somewhere near the long base of the trapezoid. We just need to figure out how to get there.

This is, of course, a temporary solution, and the degree to which this technique is effective depends on the standard deviation of the duration of the universe. However, given the size of the universe, it would not be surprising for this to run into the millions of years.