I don’t believe that Liberty Meadows has won a Harvey or an Eisner award, but it did win an Ignatz Award in 1999 for the year’s best comic book for collections of the strip. The Ignatz awards are given out at the leading alternative comics show, the Small Press Expo (SPX). Frank Cho won because he served on the awards jury and he nominated himself for the award.

The ethical implications aside, that year’s awards were controversial in many respects. The Cho nomination was only part of a growing trend of more mainstream nominations in an award that was designed to distinguish alternative and small press work. How can the Ignatz claim to be alternative when mainstream crap like Gen13 and Heartthrobs get nods?

Others objected to a relative newcomer like Cho serving on the awards jury at all. Dylan Horrocks (Hicksville): "Shouldn’t it be people (on the jury) who’ve already got an established, unshakable reputation and status in the field? Hopefully, that way, we wouldn't get such absolute travesties as Liberty Meadows beating Jew of New York for best comic. That's kind of like - I dunno – Terry Pratchett beating James Joyce for a Nobel Prize for Literature or something. Unbelievable."

When confronted with the torrent of criticism, Cho brushed aside questions of ethics by claiming the lack of quality comics released that year. Then he attacked and slandered his critics:

"It was hard to find four or five quality books to nominate in some of the categories. It seems like anyone who can do thick brush lines is a hip, alternative creator. There are a lot of artists out there who can't draw worth a damn."

"(I am) a little bit offended by the mini-comics. All of these other publishers spend a ton of money to put out decent product. Then you have these college kids who do a poorly drawn mini, completed at Kinko's. You should weed out the crap like that. There are a lot of talented people. Having this amateur stuff out there makes it difficult to find the really, really nice quality of selection."

Never mind that the Ignatz was designed to recognize this kind of "amateur" work in the first place.

Putting Cho, who is clearly an idiot, aside, the strip is pretty nicely drawn. But it's not so much his skill as the lack of quality drawing on the comics page that leads to this kind of praise. It’s been a long time since the days of Hal Foster and Windsor McKay, and people go orgasmic over anyone who can draw better than Mort Walker.

Despite his skill, the strip fails to impress. Oh look, breasts. And I liked it much better when it was called Bloom County.

Quotes from The Comics Journal.