Dear Anne,

Last Saturday night Paul brought home one of his old ladies from the pub. It might have been the one I saw before, a heavy-thighed blonde woman who had her legs draped over his on the couch in the living room when I passed by going to the kitchen. In the morning, annoyed by their muttering upstairs, I flew out the door and hopped the bus into town in time to catch a piano recital. The Polish pianist played well through Chopin and Debussy, but we didn't care for the modernist "Sonata No. 2 Op. 53" by Alberto Ginastera; the audience clapped too early during a long rest. My friend Lori told me 20 years ago, "When the audience applauds, stop playing." Afterward I browsed the museum's Impressionists gallery, as usual. Did you know Monet and Rodin were friends? They have a painting Monet gave to Rodin, and a sculture Rodin gave to Monet, on display beside each other. Which reminds me of the Vincent Van Gogh museum which has his painting of a vase, and also the vase, on display.

There was an exhibition of Japanese woodcut prints, too. These were inspiring. Their style and techniques used clearly influence modern graphic novels and comic books. I bough the exhibit poster. It would be fantastic to visit Japan some day. I should resume studying the language. Nihongo de benkyoshimasu.

You said things were shaky. I'm sure everything will work out fine. I believe in you.

Yours,

T. B. F.