Salvia divinorum is a plant native to Southern Mexico, which naturally contains the psychoactive chemical Salvinorin-A. It has traditionally been used in rituals and ceremonies by shamen and healers.

The plant itself loves shady (no more than 3 hours of direct sunlight per day), humid locales. It flowers from October until June. Oddly enough, Salvia divinorum plants rarely produce seeds. When they do produce seeds, there is only a 10% chance that the seed will germinate. If you want to grow your own salvia, the easiest method is to get a cutting from an already growing plant.

In order to get the psychoactive effects of the from the plant, fresh leaves are chewed or dried leaves are smoked. There are also liquid extracts that have a higher concentration of Salvinorin-A that are taken orally under the tongue.

Dosage:

When smoked, it is generally suggested to use anywhere from ¼ to ½ of a gram of dried leaves. Because the concentration of Salvinorin-A varies in the liquid extracts, it is hard to judge dosage. Based on a 5X concentration, a safe dose would be from 1/20 to 1/10 of a gram.

How to smoke it:

Smoking salvia is considerably trickier than smoking some other substances. The body metabolizes Salvinorin-A very quickly. Due to this, the entire dose has to be ingested within 2 to 3 minutes.

1. Use a bong. This makes it easier to inhale the lungfuls of smoke that you need in order to get the effects.

2. Inhale and hold. Take all the smoke in and try to hold it for about 30 seconds before you take the next hit. Try to smoke it all in a couple lungfuls.

Okay, so what’s it like?

Well, the first effects are felt within a minute. These are generally a sense of relaxation and increased sensory appreciation. Not long after, a five to ten minute-long peak is reached. Effects at this level are intense closed eye visuals similar to acid. Complex geometric patterns and textures can be seen. At higher doses, out of body experiences and the like are likely to occur.

Salvia is more along the lines of a meditative/introspective drug and less of a social/party drug. Keep this in mind before you get besaged.