Computers - or the lack hereof - as the cause of domestic unrest
We, my so and I, have two computers. We use them a lot. He uses 'The Big One' and I use 'The Small One'. They are in use almost 24/7, 365. I have all my wus stashed away on The Small One, I have my sumo statistics, I have a lot of msgs that I wish to keep... And, of course, I have a lot of other things as well.

And now, these last few days, The Small One hasn't been feeling well. It seems to have some kind of debilitating case of hiccups, which suddenly makes it believe, fervently, that it needs to restart. Only it can't. So it hiccups again. And again. Its tiny lights go on and off, and the cursor freezes in mid motion. It's rather pathetic...

I am a fairly balanced and docile person, so the first time this happened I just gently dented the computer casing, and pushed reset. That worked fine for a day. Then, it hiccuped again. Again I hit 'reset', and, while it restarted, picked up the pieces of the glass that had been sitting on top of the computer. (Note to self: do not keep beverages in fragile containers on top of computer.)

Now I ran Scandisc, and I ran a virus scan, and I removed a lot of cookies. And this seemed to help for a couple of days. Yay. It still made some weird noises when I fired it up, but, hey, it's an old computer...

And then, yesterday, it almost died on me! It went into some sort of cramps, hiccuping so badly, I had to turn it off. It was so alarming I didn't even break anything. I could only think of:

  1. All my archived msgs and wus, gone!
  2. All my stats, painstakingly put toghether after hours and hours of surfing, gone!
  3. In all fairness: all of my so's documents, gone!
  4. Endless, exhausting fights over who gets to use The Big One, when, and for how long...!

Today, I actually coaxed The Small One into working. And I am now uploading all my stuff - or trying to - to some online stash or whatever. This will take care of items 1 and 2. And then I'll have to adress item 4. Which is not going to be easy. If The Small One really dies, I have few options:
  • I could slip him (my so) a Mickey Finn whenever I need the computer, but I don't know about the long term effects of this (the short term effect would be along the lines of him coming around, being extremely pissed! This is undesirable).
  • I could nag, nag, nag, until he let me have the computer. This will cause very few health problems, but it would be murder to the overall ambience of this small home.
  • I could bide my time, and use the computer when he's not using it. Unacceptable. This modus operandum (or possibly 'operandi', what do I know?) will probably be hazardous to my health, since I am fairly addicted to this internet thing...
  • We could go forth and buy ourselves another computer...

Well, for now, The Small One is working. My files are still in the process of being uploaded to some site. The computer will probably crash before it's finished, but that's for another daylog, I guess.

Just needed to share... Thank you for your time.

Yes, I know some of my pipelinks are pretty non-sequitur...