1. What is your name?

Robin Clarke, a.k.a. fondue.

2. What is your quest?

In real life (i.e. my Twitter bio) I'm a "games writer/producer". On E2, I've mainly been concerned with writing about computer games and pop culture trivia, and rants. These days I'm more involved in the E2 community than contributing writeups. My leisure writing is now more often aimed at my blog and places like Eurogamer.

3. What is your favorite color?

Ah, Monty Python references already. Blue.

4. How did you discover Everything, and how did you become a noder?

I was at university at the time. I'd been introduced to the whole free software movement and excitedly read slashdot and segfault every day (and regurgitated their views at boring length to anyone nearby). My earliest memory of Everything was a slashdot news story comparing it with H2G2, but looking back at their archives, this must have been some months after I signed up as a noder. So in short, I can't remember.

5. What do you see as the most significant changes that have happened to Everything over the past decade?

Well, the jump from E1 to E2 was obviously quite significant. And the implementation of external links. But I suppose the handing over of control of the running and development of the site to a new generation of contributors has been the most significant thing.

6. What are your favorite writeups -- both your own and from other noders?

Too many to list. Sam512, RalphyK, Bol, Archiewood, Servo5678, Pseudo_Intellectual and Ashley Pomeroy spring to mind as noders who have consistently delivered interesting, entertaining prose. Don's mojito recipe. Of my own, Metroid Prime for sheer gratuitous exhaustiveness. And some of the silly jokes and 'straight' reference pieces in my last 50 writeups.

7. What are your favorite and least favorite memories from E2's history?

Some of the meets (the first one, the Hyde Park picnic, the big New Year one) were quite memorable and brilliant. Bad things? The long outage, the Community2 bustup, the Marty what's-his-name plagiarism episode and whenever certain inexplicably persistent noders try to be funny.

8. What keeps you coming back?

The people. The faint temptation to node again.

9. What do you hope for E2's future?

For it to survive at at least its current size, and continue to change and evolve as users come and go.

10. What does E2 mean to you?

A meeting of minds that could never have happened at any earlier time in human history(!).

11. Is E2 a writing site, a community site, an online encyclopedia, or something else? What should it be?

A writing site, but not an exclusive club. For all the strengths of the E2 community, the site itself is a pretty mediocre social site, beyond the catbox.

12. Who are your favorite noders? Which ones do you miss the most?

Again, too many to list.

Amnesiac and RalphyK are fairly bad losses. I hear RalphyK has flounced off from his own blog as well now. He just likes flouncing.

13. Who would play you in the Everything2 movie?

Everyone should answer John Cusack for this question.

14. Any questions that I didn't ask that I should've?

No, that's quite enough.

Everything2 Decaversary Interviews

If you have questions or comments, please contact fondue or Jet-Poop.