Student Unions in the UK's newer universities (which includes so-called "old" universities like Southampton or Durham) have Student Unions which are created as separate corporations under the university's charter. This gives them the legal capacity of natural persons, except as circumscribed by the charter, their charitable status (if any) and by legislation (Although, as bodies corporate, they are not natural persons). I can't comment on the creation of Student Uniosn in the old universities, like Oxford or Cambridge, whcih additionally have their own "Union"s which fulfilled much of the role of a modern student union, before either had an "official" student union.

Student Unions basically exist to provide fun stuff for students, as well as miscellaneous services like legal advice, and are typically given representation on the ruling bodies of Universities, at least in an observer capacity. Inevitably, they operate under a certain legislative framework, which is represented today by the Education Act 1994. The most important rules regulate who can be a member, and the constitution and conduct of the union. Not that this legislation is binding upon the associated university, who should try to see these rules followed, rather than upon the union itself.

The first of these is that:

  • any full-time student of the associated university must be allowed to join;
  • Any student must be allowed to not join;
  • No student who not a member may be discriminated against in any way: they must be free to enjoy the facilities and services as if they were a full member, and they must be allowed to stand for any office within the union.
Clearly the last is the surprising one. The second provison I mention provides that the university should try to ensure that the union is democratic and financially accountable, and that elections take place. It provides that external affiliations should be reported to the student body, but does not mandate that a positive act be made to affiliate to an external organisation. This matters to the NUS.

Student unions are typically affiliated to the NUS, but do not have to do so; the NUS is not a statutory body of any sort.