Unicorns are native to the Alps, with a historical range stretching from eastern Switzerland to the western Carpathians, and some ancient isolated populations in the Apennines and the Grampians.

Much reduced in their native territory, they are simultaneously an invasive species in northeastern North America, being descended from the escapes of an attempted captive breeding population in Vermont. Facing none of their natural predators, which are primarily dragons, unicorns in North America are unimpeded from going after their natural prey, which is primarily deer.

Fortunately unicorns themselves are few, long to live and slow to breed, so from Vermont they have not yet spread far to the north or south, and have not yet crossed the Hudson River nor the Connecticut River. But what they lack in numbers, they make up in ferocious voracity, and deer populations in the area are significantly threatened. There has been a great outcry from hunters over the competition and calls for a mass cull, which the Vermont and Massachusetts state governments are considering -- with a corresponding outcry from schoolchildren.

There have also been proposals from the state governments of Pennsylvania and New Jersey to introduce unicorns there, in order to reduce their own overpopulations of deer. Conservationists in those states are sorely divided on the matter, with many feeling the presence of unicorns would be safer than introducing wolves, and many others citing the disaster of Cane Toads as an example of how such species introductions tend to go.

Summer camps and scouting programs in the affected area are suffering more financial burdens under greater insurance liabilities, and hope that the insurance companies can be persuaded the unicorns are primarily a threat to deer, not to children, who are naturally all virgins anyway. Many summer camps have been forced to close.

As it stands, all trial efforts of either culling or capturing have failed, as hunters who shoot at them report the bullets flying back their way, anyone trying to capture one is invariably injured, and no poison has been remotely effective.

In the midst of all of this, residents of the affected areas report the highest water quality in living memory. Whatever happens to the unicorns going forward, they will have fierce defenders in the field of municipal water-treatment facilities.