There is good evident in the world. It is good for a tree to grow from a seed, for a dog to grow from a puppy, and for these things to grow old and die. It is right for an animal to frolick in green fields, and it is right for men to work. Now, the good always aims toward some end, and the good progresses nearer and nearer this end as time progresses. Therefore, there is such a thing as a highest good. And if there is such a thing as a highest good, we expect there to be a highest entity as well. For the good is an order that exists in the world, and the height of an entity may be gauged by where it stands in this order. So there is a highest entity.

Now what is the highest entity? Nothingness. For we have said that the good always aims toward some end, and the highest end must be the highest entity, and the highest entity must be the final entity, and the final entity of the universe is nothingness at the hand of entropy. To serve good, therefore, is to serve the void. It is preferable to be evil, for to be evil is to act in contradiction to this final end of all things. It is preferable to act out, to attack what is authoritative, to destroy for the sake of destruction. Therefore there is a war between the good and the preferable.

The war between the good and the preferable is really a war between two parts of the mind. The preferable is determined by reason when it regards the idea of participating in the destruction of the universe. The good is determined by the subconscious tendencies which incline us to pursue certain ends and not others. The fundamental moral question, then, is to make reason bear on the idea of the destruction of the universe, or not. To be good requires us to stifle our reason somewhat.