A transvaginal (or endovaginal) ultrasound is a radiological examination of the female pelvic structures using a transducer (probe) that is inserted into the vagina. Since the transvaginal probe is closer to the pelvic structures than a standard probe on the surface of the abdomen, this examination is used when more information is needed after a transabdominal ultrasound has been performed. In constrast to a transabdominal pelvic ultrasound, the bladder should be empty during this test to decrease artifacts and allow for better visualization of the pelvic region.

The examination involves placing the patient in a lithotomy position on an examination table, similar to the positioning during a gynecological exam. An elongated transducer is covered with a condom and sterile lubrication and is inserted into the vagina. Images appear on a monitor and the examiner will scan all the visible pelvic structures and record some images for further review.

The indications for a transvaginal ultrasound include the work-up of pelvic pain (which may be related to conditions including fibroids, ovarian cysts or carcinoma, endometriosis, and ectopic pregnancy; furthermore, this study is often performed in pregnant women to evaluate the status of the amniotic sac, placenta, and fetus.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.