This is strictly a matter of taste.  If you look through the Oxford English Grammar you will not find these rules, or at least you will not find them articulated clearly.  Nonetheless, they are the de facto standard for the case capitalization in the English-speaking world, or, at least in the English-speaking world of the academy.

These rules are good to know.  But, like most rules, they are much better to break and to flaunt.  According to the MLA Handbook, you should capitalize:

The Man, however, does not want you to put your caps on: As you can see, title case is one of the most picky parts of English pedantism.  It's very hard to do correctly, and when you do put the effort in most people can't tell.  This doesn't make title case a useless thing to know -- if you have to write a paper, it will save you from the scorn of your professor.  But, in practical terms, title case seems as antiquated as the rules for capitalization we can observe by reading the original text of the Declaration of Independence, which is to say that they are vestiges of a language system that is in constant flux.  So know the rules, but play around with them.  Break them.  That's what language rules are for, or else we'll never be able to express new ideas within our language systems.

Perhaps this is giving entirely too much weight to the simple issue of capitalization.  But look at the word, for crying out loud.  "Capitalization."  If that's not a walking lesson, I don't know what is.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.