"a zarqy script with a beeeh"

A script for use with the EPIC IRC-client. It is based on Splitfire.

It adds colours, timestamps, nick completion, and all other sorts of froody stuff I have yet to find out about.

It was written by zarq in 1998.


There is also an extremely cool PC game published by Empire Interactive called "sheep."

You get to pick one of four herders to play, and the type of sheep you want to herd. The object of the game is to get n sheep to mopve from point A to point B. The problem is, your sheep will often run into electric fences, hay compactors, big sheep on bicycles, and many more things-you-don't-want-to-run-into.

The graphics and sounds are very cartoon-ish. Perhaps a bit overdone, but it's fun to look at. And the fact that this game is about sheep means that you just have to have it.

Terminology

Sheep younger than one year are called lambs. A female sheep that is one year old is called a hogget. A female sheep any older than this is called a ewe.
A male sheep older than one year is called a ram. A gelded male sheep older than one year is called a wether.

A History of Sheep

Sheep were one of the first animals domesticated by man. They weren't overintelligent and were easy to handle because of their small size. They provided an excellent source of meat and clothing (with their wool).
During the Middle Ages they were found to be very productive, and used for their hide and milk as well.
Today, sheep are mainly raised for their meat, as wool is no longer profitable and there is not a large market for hides or sheep milk.

Sheep and Religion

It may seem strange to think that these animals would have any relation to religion of any sort. However, sheep having been domesticated for such a long time, they have roots in many of the world's major religions.
The meat of the sheep is commonly eaten by Jews and Hindus as it is an excellent alternative to pork and beef, which are tabooed by their religions.
Sikhs and Muslims both have complex ritual slaughtering tecniques.

The connotation of sheep is pretty negative if used towards a group of more than 2 people.

For example, watching people all push and shove to get into one door at a mall or school, while some of the smart ones actually take the door next to it. Or those who vote for somebody only because "everybody's doing it." Or those people who watch MTV just because it's the popular thing to do.

Basically I'd define it as "somebody who did things without thinking about what they were doing." Popular among geeks

Oh, and it makes a good softlink, as I've been the victim of.

Sheep (?), n. sing. & pl. [OE. shep, scheep, AS. scp, sce�xa0;p; akin to OFries. skp, LG. & D. schaap, G. schaf, OHG. scaf, Skr. chaga. &root;295. Cf. Sheepherd.]

1. Zool.

Any one of several species of ruminants of the genus Ovis, native of the higher mountains of both hemispheres, but most numerous in Asia.

⇒ The domestic sheep (Ovis aries) varies much in size, in the length and texture of its wool, the form and size of its horns, the length of its tail, etc. It was domesticated in prehistoric ages, and many distinct breeds have been produced; as the merinos, celebrated for their fine wool; the Cretan sheep, noted for their long horns; the fat-tailed, or Turkish, sheep, remarkable for the size and fatness of the tail, which often has to be supported on trucks; the Southdowns, in which the horns are lacking; and an Asiatic breed which always has four horns.

2.

A weak, bashful, silly fellow.

Ainsworth.

3. pl.

Fig.: The people of God, as being under the government and protection of Christ, the great Shepherd.

Rocky mountain sheep.Zool. See Bighorn. -- Maned sheep. Zool. See Aoudad. -- Sheep bot Zool., the larva of the sheep botfly. See Estrus. -- Sheep dog Zool., a shepherd dog, or collie. -- Sheep laurel Bot., a small North American shrub (Kalmia angustifolia) with deep rose-colored flowers in corymbs. -- Sheep pest Bot., an Australian plant (Acaena ovina) related to the burnet. The fruit is covered with barbed spines, by which it adheres to the wool of sheep. -- Sheep run, an extensive tract of country where sheep range and graze. -- Sheep's beard Bot., a cichoraceous herb (Urospermum Dalechampii) of Southern Europe; -- so called from the conspicuous pappus of the achenes. -- Sheep's bit Bot., a European herb (Jasione montana) having much the appearance of scabious. -- Sheep pox Med., a contagious disease of sheep, characterixed by the development of vesicles or pocks upon the skin. -- Sheep scabious. Bot. Same as Sheep's bit. -- Sheep shears, shears in which the blades form the two ends of a steel bow, by the elasticity of which they open as often as pressed together by the hand in cutting; -- so called because used to cut off the wool of sheep. -- Sheep sorrel. Bot., a prerennial herb (Rumex Acetosella) growing naturally on poor, dry, gravelly soil. Its leaves have a pleasant acid taste like sorrel. -- Sheep's-wool Zool., the highest grade of Florida commercial sponges (Spongia equina, variety gossypina). -- Sheep tick Zool., a wingless parasitic insect (Melophagus ovinus) belonging to the Diptera. It fixes its proboscis in the skin of the sheep and sucks the blood, leaving a swelling. Called also sheep pest, and sheep louse. -- Sheep walk, a pasture for sheep; a sheep run. -- Wild sheep. Zool. See Argali, Mouflon, and Oorial.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.