Also the newest book from sci-fi/historical author Connie Willis. It came out May 1st, I got it May 4, and, despite the SATs and prom, had it finished by the sixth. It is an unconvential and moving approach to near death experiences, or NDE's as her characters call them. Although the first three hundred pages are a lot of exposition, the next 294 completely make up for it. As always, Ms. Willis manages to work history into her novel, although this time she takes a much more creative route than that of time travel. This book made me think about the nature of death, not to mention the nature of the afterlife, and didn't try to gloss anything over with stories about angels and "the life review." If anyone has read it, please e-mail me at JediBix783@yahoo.com to discuss the ending-- because is it just me, or does the last paragraph completely negate the theme of the book?

This is also a dressage move used in higher levels of competition. The passage is basically a very slow, animated trot. The horse will typically not move faster than a walk, and will hold each hoof in the air for a split second. Back in the military days, this would have been used for a parade and other formal showings. It's incredibly hard to imagine without a seeing it, but it is one of the more beautiful movements in dressage.

Note that in this case, it would be pronounced pa-sage with accent on the sage and a soft g sound.

In tissue culture:



Passage means to remove some of the cells from the flask, petri dish or other growing surface, by means of denaturing them.

If cells are not passaged when they are confluent then they will over-grow, which means there will be to many cells competing for surface area and nurtients. Some will detach from the surface, or "lift" and some will start to die.

Pas"sage (?), n. [F. passage. See Pass, v. i.]

1.

The act of passing; transit from one place to another; movement from point to point; a going by, over, across, or through; as, the passage of a man or a carriage; the passage of a ship or a bird; the passage of light; the passage of fluids through the pores or channels of the body.

What! are my doors opposed against my passage! Shak.

2.

Transit by means of conveyance; journey, as by water, carriage, car, or the like; travel; right, liberty, or means, of passing; conveyance.

The ship in which he had taken passage. Macaulay.

3.

Price paid for the liberty to pass; fare; as, to pay one's passage.

4.

Removal from life; decease; departure; death.

[R.] "Endure thy mortal passage."

Milton.

When he is fit and season'd for his passage. Shak.

5.

Way; road; path; channel or course through or by which one passes; way of exit or entrance; way of access or transit. Hence, a common avenue to various apartments in a building; a hall; a corridor.

And with his pointed dart Explores the nearest passage to his heart. Dryden.

The Persian army had advanced into the . . . passages of Cilicia. South.

6.

A continuous course, process, or progress; a connected or continuous series; as, the passage of time.

The conduct and passage of affairs. Sir J. Davies.

The passage and whole carriage of this action. Shak.

7.

A separate part of a course, process, or series; an occurrence; an incident; an act or deed.

"In thy passages of life."

Shak.

The . . . almost incredible passage of their unbelief. South.

8.

A particular portion constituting a part of something continuous; esp., a portion of a book, speech, or musical composition; a paragraph; a clause.

How commentators each dark passage shun. Young.

9.

Reception; currency.

[Obs.]

Sir K. Digby.

10.

A pass or en encounter; as, a passage at arms.

No passages of love Betwixt us twain henceforward evermore. Tennyson.

11.

A movement or an evacuation of the bowels.

12.

In parliamentary proceedings: (a) The course of a proposition (bill, resolution, etc.) through the several stages of consideration and action; as, during its passage through Congress the bill was amended in both Houses. (b) The advancement of a bill or other proposition from one stage to another by an affirmative vote; esp., the final affirmative action of the body upon a proposition; hence, adoption; enactment; as, the passage of the bill to its third reading was delayed.

"The passage of the Stamp Act."

D. Hosack.

The final question was then put upon its passage. Cushing.

In passage, in passing; cursorily. "These . . . have been studied but in passage." Bacon. -- Middle passage, Northeast passage, Northwest passage. See under Middle, Northeast, etc. -- Of passage, passing from one place, region, or climate, to another; migratory; -- said especially of birds "Birds of passage." Longfellow. -- Passage hawk, a hawk taken on its passage or migration. -- Passage money, money paid for conveyance of a passenger, -- usually for carrying passengers by water.

Syn. -- Vestibule; hall; corridor. See Vestibule.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.