Mincing, or "skittering", is actually quite a useful skill, especially if you've got a position that calls for your wearing long skirts, a robe, or a gown, a condition that falls to almost everyone, male or female, these days (as in an academic gown, wizard's robe, etc.) The idea is to take rapid steps with your knees together -- this will make you look more like a chess piece moving than a human locomoting. It does feel unnatural, especially if you've been, like most modern Americans immersed in a culture that encourages everyone to stride and swagger like a Marlboro commercial. Take it from me, it's a lot cooler to look like a chess piece (or the Dalai Lama) than it is to fall on your face by trying to keep to a normal pace.

Mince (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Minced (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Minging (?).] [AS. minsian to grow less, dwindle, fr. min small; akin to G. minder less, Goth. minniza less, mins less, adv., L. minor, adj. (cf. Minor); or more likely fr. F. mincer to mince, prob. from (assumed) LL. minutiare. . See Minish.]

1.

To cut into very small pieces; to chop fine; to hash; as, to mince meat.

Bacon.

2.

To suppress or weaken the force of; to extenuate; to palliate; to tell by degrees, instead of directly and frankly; to clip, as words or expressions; to utter half and keep back half of.

I know no ways to mince it in love, but directly to say -- "I love you." Shak.

Siren, now mince the sin, And mollify damnation with a phrase. Dryden.

If, to mince his meaning, I had either omitted some part of what he said, or taken from the strength of his expression, I certainly had wronged him. Dryden.

3.

To affect; to make a parade of.

[R.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mince, v. i.

1.

To walk with short steps; to walk in a prim, affected manner.

The daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes,... mincing as they go. Is. iii. 16.

I 'll... turn two mincing steps Into a manly stride. Shak.

2.

To act or talk with affected nicety; to affect delicacy in manner.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mince, n.

A short, precise step; an affected manner.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.