Metta, or Loving-Kindness

Metta is an idea first espoused by the Buddha after his Enlightenment over 2000 years ago. Simply put, it is a feeling of goodwill or loving-kindness for all living beings.

The depth of the Buddha's Metta is said to have been able to tame wild animals and engender trust and respect in all whom he met.

In Buddhism today, Metta meditation is used in order to increase one's capacity for love and respect of all living creatures.

To begin, one sits in a comfortable position and begins to think about themselves, thinking thoughts such as: "may I be free from emnity and danger, may I be free from mental suffering, may I be free from physical suffering, may I take care of myself happily."

Once you have thought these things for yourself and honestly felt them, try to think of a friend of yours for whom you have love or respect. Try, now, to project the same feelings you had for yourself onto this person. "May they be free from emnity and danger, may they be free from mental suffering, may they be free from physical suffering, may they take care of themselves happily."

After you have done this thoroughly and genuinely felt these feelings to your friend, next select somebody whom you look up to - perhaps a respected teacher or a parent. Once again, try to project those feelings of love and goodwill toward this person, as well. "May they be free from emnity and danger, may they be free from mental suffering, may they be free from physical suffering, may they take care of themselves happily."

The next type of person you should consider in your Metta meditation is somebody whom you do not really know. Perhaps a cashier at your favorite restaurant, or somebody you see passing on the street. Think to yourself, "even though I do not know this person, I can still wish them goodwill and send them love. May they be free from emnity and danger, may they be free from mental suffering, may they be free from physical suffering, may they take care of themselves happily."

Next, try to think of somebody who might be causing you some sort of trouble in your life, or somebody who frustrates you. Try to forgive them for the pain they may be causing you and try, once again, to honestly send them love and kindness, even though they may be causing pain or suffering. "May they be free from emnity and danger, may they be free from mental suffering, may they be free from physical suffering, may they take care of themselves happily."

Finally, return to yourself and reflect upon all the loving-kindness you have generated in your sitting, and try to imagine that loving kindness spreading out from you like a great sphere of energy. Imagine it expanding from where you are seated and enveloping slowly all those around you, and for all those within that sphere, offer them your lovingkindness. Think about everybody in the same building as you and offer them your lovingkindness, then extend that to all those in your town and city, and your whole country and finally, extend your lovingkindness and goodwill to all beings in the world.

"May they be free from emnity and danger, may they be free from mental suffering, may they be free from physical suffering, may they take care of themselves happily."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.