Inulin is used in analysis of glomerular filtration rate. It is not naturally found in the body, is non-toxic, and is usually infused rather than, say, taken orally.

The reason it is used in this sort of analysis is that it is freely filtered by the kidneys, and is neither reabsorbed, nor secreted.

The equation used to find the GFR is

GFR = (U * V) / P
Where GFR is equal to the urine inulin concentration times the volume flow of urine, divided by the plasma inulin concentration.

Finally, make sure you don't confuse inulin with insulin.


These are my interpretation of my lecture notes, but I may have used some references from Hole's Anatomy and Physiology (Shier, Butler, Lewis) and Human Physiology (Vander, Sherman, Luciano)

In"u*lin (?), n. [From NL. Inula Helenium, the elecampane: cf. F. inuline.] Chem.

A substance of very wide occurrence. It is found dissolved in the sap of the roots and rhizomes of many composite and other plants, as Inula, Helianthus, Campanula, etc., and is extracted by solution as a tasteless, white, semicrystalline substance, resembling starch, with which it is isomeric. It is intermediate in nature between starch and sugar. Called also dahlin, helenin, alantin, etc.

<-- also = alant starch. a polysaccharide found in Compositae [MI11]-->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.