A series of resorts in the Carribean that popped up in the 1990s. Each one is designed expressly for the purpose of facilitating one-night stands and swinging among patrons. All clubs are for adults only. The high rates for a stay probably do the most to ensure a clean, somewhat respectable clientele.

Currently, there are three such resorts.

Humanity as a collective has always pursued a socially specific ideal mode of existence. Individually, humans form identity and purpose uniquely and according to distinct beliefs and values.

The pursuit of happiness has always been subjective. There will always exist those who believe that in serving their own intentions and desires they bring meaning to their life. Those who that claim that pleasure is the highest good, and live by the ethos that whatever causes pleasure is right. This is the aim of Hedonism.

Human behaviour, at its most fundamental level, has long been determined not by any arbitrary code of morality, but by the sensations of pain and pleasure, and the avoidance of one over the other.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain, and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do"

-Bentham

"We recognise pleasure as the first good innate in us, and from pleasure we begin every act of choice and avoidance, and to pleasure we return again, using the feeling as the standard by which we judge every good."

-Epicurus

Hed"on*ism (?), n.

1.

The doctrine of the Hedonic sect.

2.

The ethical theory which finds the explanation and authority of duty in its tendency to give pleasure.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.