The creation of heavier isotopes by combining light isotopes, generally by colliding them at high velocity.

See Also:

Fusion is a shortening of jazz-rock fusion, a branch of jazz music. Until 1969, jazz was associated only with swing (and latin), and not with the straight rhytms, and electronic instruments of rock. In 1969, Miles Davis recorded Bitches Brew, the first fusion album, which incorporated straight rhythms, electric bass (until then only the upright bass was associated with jazz) and other 'rocky' elements. For example, in traditional jazz, the bass would almost invariably play a walking bass line, but in fusion, the bass would play more on the lines of riffs, on which improvisations could take place.

Noteworthy fusion performers:

Cream of fusion albums: There are lots of other good (and even great) fusion artists and albums. This is my pick, based on historical context, album sales and personal taste. If I inadvertently forgot something major, /tell me, it will be updated.

A chocolate bar consisting of caramel and crisp rice covered in chocolate. Sickly sweet and not very filling.

Fusion (more precisely nuclear fusion) is the process of joining together two smaller atoms to make a larger one, liberating energy in the process. This usually occurs between two helium atoms or one of its isotopes, such as deuteriumor tritium. This is what occurs in the sun and other stars. It is possible to fuse heavier elements, but it requires more energy, and only occurs in stars where the hydrogen is running out. Fusion formed all of the elements from hydrogen.

Attempts have been made to create a fusion reaction on earth, but the high temperature conditions mean a fusion reaction is very difficult to contain. Attempts have been made to use a magnetic field to contain the superheated plasma produced, but none have succeeded so far. Also research has gone into muon-catalysed cold fusion, a possible form of cold fusion that uses rare subatomic particles called muons to increase the chance of fusion and laser fusion,which bombards a pellet of fusion fuel with high-power lasers.The lasers both heat the fuel up and contain the plasma.

      Fusion is a technique used in the hit anime series Dragonball Z and Dragonball GT. Fusion can be done by anyone. There are 3 main ways this can be done. First, there is the fusion dance. This is done when 2 people, simultaneously and perfectly do a ritual dance. The two people are pulled together to form a new person that shares characteristics of both people, with an increased power level. Goku & Vegita, and Goten & Trunks perform this fusion.

     Second, is the ring fusion. This is when two people wear magical earrings on opposite ears. They are similarly pulled together to form a new person with shared characteristics and improved power. Goku & Vegita, and Supreme Kai and Kibito perform this fusion.

     Third, is a rare fusion, this is when one person is just transferred into another person. The person receives an increased power, but no physical changes are made, everything is done mentally and in Ki. Picollo & Nail, and Picollo & Kami perform this fusion. With these fusions the end result has an increased power, and is able to learn new techniques and can gain a new style.
Nuclear Fusion is the opposite of fission. With a nuclear fission reaction unstable atoms are broken down into smaller, more stable atoms, which gives off a large amount of energy. This is the reaction that occurs in nuclear power stations, atom bombs, and nuclear submarines. Fusion on the other hand involves smashing atoms together (usually stable ones like helium, deuterium or tritium) so that they become one big stable atom. This gives off an absolute shitload (scientific term) of energy. This is the type of reaction that occurs in the centre of the sun and in hydrogen bombs. And maybe, just maybe, in power stations around the world or even in your own home.

The problem with fusion is it needs immense amounts of heat, which is why it only occurs at the centre of stars and such. Efforts to re-create it on earth are thwarted by the fact that there are no materials able to withstand the intense heat that's required. This makes the prospect of cold fusion extremely enticing. Cold fusion though, is still in the realms of science fiction. To create fusion on earth without clearing a large amount of the world's surface using a bomb or a missile, experiments are being conducted whereby a very small amount of hydrogen rich matter is heated by lasers and held in place by an electromagnetic field. I believe that this did manage to create fusion, but it was extremely hard to sustain. It is unlikely that it will be the new method of power in the near future.

It's the year 2002. No-one's living in space and there aren't any affordable mass-produced hovercars, but there are new claims of creating fusion. Researchers at the Oak Ridge national laboratory in Tennessee in the United States claim that they have found a way of creating fusion in a controlled manageable way. The method used was that by passing sound waves through a jar of Acetone (nail polish remover) containing molecules of deuterium, bubbles in the substance expanded and then imploded - giving temperatures of 10mC inside the bubble and 7,000C on the surface for a split second before the colapse. These temperatures are equal to the ones at the centre and the surface of the sun. The jar is bombarded by neutrons in the form of a sound wave - a technique that is called acoustic cavitation. This experiment, which was headed by Dr. Rusi Taleyarkhan has already come under fire - from his own laboratory! A second group working at Oak Ridge was unable to recreate the temperatures claimed by the first group, who in turn say the second group had incorrectly calibrated their instruments. It has not been determined yet if this experiment is a definite success or not.

Other nodes on E2 dealing with fusion:
  • Cold fusion
  • Fusion fuels
  • Fusion reactions
  • Fusion Reactor
  • Laser fusion
  • Muon-catalysed cold fusion
  • Nuclear fusion
  • Fu"sion (?), n. [L. fusio, fr. fundere, fusum to pour, melt: cf. F. fusion. See Fuse, v. t., aud cf, Foison.]

    1.

    The act or operation of melting or rendering fluid by heat; the act of melting together; as, the fusion of metals.

    2.

    The state of being melted or dissolved by heat; a state of fluidity or flowing in consequence of heat; as, metals in fusion.

    3.

    The union or blending together of things, as, melted together.

    The universal fusion of races, languages, and customs . . . had produced a corresponding fusion of creeds. C. Kingsley.

    Watery fusion Chem. the melting of certain crystals by heat in their own water of crystallization.

    4. Biol.

    The union, or binding together, of adjacent parts or tissues.

     

    © Webster 1913.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.