One who works for an escort agency, providing a sexual service under the legal guise of 'rent a date'.

Also the term used for a male or female companion hired for their time only. However what happens during that time is up to the escort and the client. It is a very thin line of distinction between prostitution and escorting, however the classic definition of a prostitute is someone who offers sex for money. An escort is defined as someone who offers companionship and time for money.

There are innumerable advertisements for escorts in the back of any metropolitan U.S. paper. This in itself is perhaps a wonderful exposure of North American social and sexual ideals. Prostitution is indeed illegal but there are none-the-less overflowing "erotic services" ads in the back of any city's newspaper. As long as it is quiet and discrete then Mrs Haggard, Mrs Swagert, Mrs Foley, Mrs Spitzer, Mrs Larry Craig, and all the rest of the public here will look the other way. At least until it involves the media.

Es"cort (?), n. [F. escorte, It. scorta a guard or guide, fr. scorgere to perceive, discern, lead, fr. L. ex out, quite + corrigere to correct, set right. See Correct.]

1.

A body of armed men to attend a person of distinction for the sake of affording safety when on a journey; one who conducts some one as an attendant; a guard, as of prisoners on a march; also, a body of persons, attending as a mark of respect or honor; -- applied to movements on land, as convoy is to movements at sea.

The troops of my escort marched at the ordinary rate. Burke.

2.

Protection, care, or safeguard on a journey or excursion; as, to travel under the escort of a friend.

 

© Webster 1913.


Es*cort" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Escorted; p. pr. & vb. n. Escorting.] [Cf. F. escorter, It. scortare. See Escort, n.]

To attend with a view to guard and protect; to accompany as safeguard; to give honorable or ceremonious attendance to; -- used esp. with reference to journeys or excursions on land; as, to escort a public functionary, or a lady; to escort a baggage wagon.

Syn. -- To accompany; attend. See Accompany.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.