Eclectic, selecting; relating to the Eclectics, philosophers of antiquity, who, without attaching themselves to any particular system, professed to select from the various existing systems what they believed to be true, and thus to construct a new and complete whole. Modern eclecticism is considered to have taken its rise in the 17th century with Bacon and Descartes but in the 19th century it received a fresh impetus through the labors of the German philosopher Hegel, and of Victor Cousin.


Entry from Everybody's Cyclopedia, 1912.

Ec*lec"tic (?), a. [Gr. , fr. to pick out, choose out: cf. F. 'eclectique. See Eclogue, and cf. Elect.]

1.

Selecting; choosing (what is true or excellent in doctrines, opinions, etc.) from various sources or systems; as, an eclectic philosopher.

2.

Consisting, or made up, of what is chosen or selected; as, an eclectic method; an eclectic magazine.

Eclectic physician, one of a class of practitioners of medicine, who select their modes of practice and medicines from all schools; formerly, sometimes the same as botanic physician. [U.S.] -- Eclectic school. Paint. See Bolognese school, under Bolognese.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ec*lec"tic (?), n.

One who follows an eclectic method.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.