Flagship program on KCRW 89.9 FM, the public radio / NPR station of Santa Monica College in Southern California.
"Morning Becomes Eclectic attempts to present
the best new music that is coming out around the
world and infuse it with the best of the old as well,
reaching back into the vaults on a daily basis--to
flesh out the new alongside those that have come
before it."
-- former 'Morning Becomes Eclectic' host Chris Douridas

The three hour weekday morning program is dedicated to playing a wide variety of music, especially non-mainstream, new, and unreleased tracks. A key feature of the show is a live performance and artist interview segment during the third hour (11:00 AM) almost every day. The staff have put a lot of effort and money into making the studios for the live performances sophisticated enough to please the most discerning of artists, and thus the listeners as well. Despite this commitment to superb sound quality they are known to play recordings on everything from home-studio cassettes to DATs to transmissions recorded off the air in far-off places - the medium is not the message, the music (or just the sound) is.

The broad range of styles played is refreshing in the increasingly micro-genre L.A. radio scene, but there are for many occasional times when it seems they haven't played anything familiar or even tangential to one's tastes for quite a while. Still the show is worth catching at least a slice of most every day.

The station also has put out a couple of compilation CDs representing the kind of mix they strive for, and traditional concert performances are sponsored under the "Sounds Eclectic" name. In addition their website features 'streaming audio 24 hours a day'.
--------
The show's name is a clever play on the title of Eugene O'Neill's play Mourning Becomes Electra. Luckily the radio show is anything but tragic, dark, and fatalistic - unless it wants to be.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.