A choir is a group of singers, usually under the leadership of a conductor. Unlike popular belief, however, choir music is not a specific musical genre. Rather, the choir is an instrument, which can be used to perform many different kinds of music.

One of the greatest forms of music is choral music. An orchestra is impressive, but nothing compares to a choir of voices. Choral music uses text, and with text, choral music brings the meaning to a higher level. Orchestras must concentrate on the notes, phrase, and dynamics. A choir has to work just as hard as an orchestra, but there is the added text element. The choir must concentrate in order to communicate with the audience. In order for the meaning to come across, the words must sound the same. Diction, and vowel pronounciation are very important in choral singing. One needs to see how the words are reflected with the musical notes and line. The words give meaning to the music.

Choir (?), n. [OE. quer, OF. cuer, F. cheur, fr. L. chorus a choral dance, chorus, choir, fr. Gr. , orig. dancing place; prob. akin to inclosure, L. hortus garden, and E. yard. See Chorus.]

1.

A band or organized company of singers, especially in church service.

[Formerly written also quire.]

2.

That part of a church appropriated to the singers.

3. Arch.

The chancel.

Choir organ Mus., one of the three or five distinct organs included in the full organ, each separable from the rest, but all controlled by one performer; a portion of the full organ, complete in itself, and more practicable for ordinary service and in the accompanying of the vocal choir. -- Choir screen, Choir wall Arch., a screen or low wall separating the choir from the aisles. -- Choir service, the service of singing performed by the choir.

T. Warton.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.