(n) A dissolute, slovenly or lewd woman; a slut. "That bag was sharp stuff (clever and attractive) till the junk (drugs) hooked (got the best of) her."
(v) 1. To arrest. 2. To lock up because of a violation of prison rules.

- american underworld lingo - 1950

v. to fail to show. "Tom swore he'd be here, but he bagged."

From the Dictionary of Mountain Bike Slang

A rather uncommon metasyntactic variable. I have only seen it used by one professor, though it fits in very well with foo, bar, and baz. For example:

Theorem: Every foo bag gives rise to a foo bar.

"Bag", as a verb, is used amongst mountain climbers to describe a successful ascent of a peak. The derivation is from the idea that the climber has put the mountain in a metaphorical "bag".

The term to be has somewhat of an unsavory connotation, perhaps because it can also be used as a term of sexual conquest. While I enjoy the outdoors, the term "bag" makes it sound as if nature was something to be conquered, rather than experienced; which is an unfortunately common attitude amongst some mountain climbers.

Bag (?), n. [OE. bagge; cf. Icel. baggi, and also OF. bague, bundle, LL. baga.]

1.

A sack or pouch, used for holding anything; as, a bag of meal or of money.

2.

A sac, or dependent gland, in animal bodies, containing some fluid or other substance; as, the bag of poison in the mouth of some serpents; the bag of a cow.

3.

A sort of silken purse formerly tied about men's hair behind, by way of ornament.

[Obs.]

4.

The quantity of game bagged.

5. Com.

A certain quantity of a commodity, such as it is customary to carry to market in a sack; as, a bag of pepper or hops; a bag of coffee.

Bag and baggage, all that belongs to one. -- To give one the bag, to disappoint him. [Obs.]

Bunyan.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bag, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Bagged(); p. pr. & vb. n. Bagging]

1.

To put into a bag; as, to bag hops.

2.

To seize, capture, or entrap; as, to bag an army; to bag game.

3.

To furnish or load with a bag or with a well filled bag.

A bee bagged with his honeyed venom. Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bag, v. i.

1.

To swell or hang down like a full bag; as, the skin bags from containing morbid matter.

2.

To swell with arrogance.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

3.

To become pregnant.

[Obs.]

Warner. (Alb. Eng. ).

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.