Aid (#), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Aided (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Aiding.] [F. aider, OF. aidier, fr. L. adjutare to help, freq. of adjuvare to help; ad + juvare to help. Cf. Adjutant.]

To support, either by furnishing strength or means in cooperation to effect a purpose, or to prevent or to remove evil; to help; to assist.

You speedy helpers . . . Appear and aid me in this enterprise. Shak.

Syn. -- To help; assist; support; sustain; succor; relieve; befriend; cooperate; promote. See Help.

 

© Webster 1913.


Aid, n. [F. aide, OF. aide, aie, fr. the verb. See Aid, v. t.]

1.

Help; succor; assistance; relief.

An unconstitutional mode of obtaining aid. Hallam.

2.

The person or thing that promotes or helps in something done; a helper; an assistant.

It is not good that man should be alone; let us make unto him an aid like unto himself. Tobit viii. 6.

3. Eng. Hist.

A subsidy granted to the king by Parliament; also, an exchequer loan.

4. FeudalLaw

A pecuniary tribute paid by a vassal to his lord on special occasions.

Blackstone.

5.

An aid-de-camp, so called by abbreviation; as, a general's aid.

Aid prayer Law, a proceeding by which a defendant beseeches and claims assistance from some one who has a further or more permanent interest in the matter in suit. -- To pray in aid, to beseech and claim such assistance.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.