This happens to everyone, at some point in their lives.

Or at least, I think it does. It's happened to me. It's happened to everyone I know. Maybe I'm hanging out with the wrong crowd. But at some point I realized that what I was doing, what I wanted to be doing was to live my life - and some of that involved refusing some of the rules set down, following a bad example, doing wrong things to see what happens.

This isn't some "I'm so bad, look at me" idea. It's just that it seems that I never made a conscious choice to live the life I'm living exactly the way I'm living it. I just did what seemed natural. And as a result, some of the things I do are not quite as straight-arrow as possible.

That's just the way it goes.


This is also the title of a song by Jimmy Buffett, from One Particular Harbour (1983). I would imagine he realized this fact at some point in his life, too.

Background Vocals: Rita Coolidge, David Lasley, Arnold McCuller

Dedicated to Ed Polock, whoever he is.


I was supposed to have been a Jesuit priest or a Naval Academy grad.
That was the way that my parents perceived me.
Those were the plans that they had,
But I couldn't fit the part, too dumb or too smart.
Ain't it funny how we all turned out?
I guess we are the people our parents warned us about.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.