USS Eldridge DE173 - Cannon class destroyer escort
Built at the Federal Shipbuilding and Dry-docks Co. of Newark, NJ, the keel was first laid on February 22 1943 and she was commissioned in August 27 1943. The USS Eldridge was named for Commander John Eldridge Jr, who was killed in action over the Solomon Islands in 1942. The USS Eldridge was on escort duties in the Atlantic, sailing men and materials on 9 voyages to the Mediterranean to support Allied operations in North Africa and southern Europe. On May 28 1945 was transferred to the Pacific, arriving at Okinawa on August 7. On June 17 1946, she was decommissioned and sent to the Reserve Fleet. On January 15 1951, she transferred with the USS Garfield Thomas to the Royal Hellenic Navy under the U.S. Mutual Defense Assistance Program, where she served under the name Leon D-54 until 1991. She has been kept by the Greek navy as a training hulk.
SEE ALSO: Philadelphia Experiment