A piece of equipment used on submarines to dispose of garbage overboard without surfacing the ship. It's essentially a vertical tube with pressure tight doors at the top and bottom.
      ______
     /      \  <Upper Door
     |      |
     |      |
     |      |
     |      |
     | xxxx |
     | x  x |
     | x  x |
     | x  x |
     | x  x |   (xxx = Outline
     | x  x |    of garbage can)
     | xxxx |
     |      |
     |vvvvvv|   <Lower Door (v)
_____|      |_____
                ^
                ^Pressure Hull
The trash is first packed into perforated garbage cans made from sheet steel. (The cans are stored flat to save space, they are rolled up into can form as needed.) The cans are put into a trash compactor, filled with compacted trash, and iron weights are added to ensure that the can will sink.

After ensuring that the lower door is shut, the unit is drained and loaded with garbage cans through the upper door. After upper door is closed, the tube is flooded and the lower door opened. The garbage cans then fall out of the tube by the force of gravity. Shutting the lower door and draining the tube completes the act of 'taking out the garbage'.

Handling all those cans of garbage in the confined space of the TDU room is one of the least sought after jobs on the submarine.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.