My favorite movie sword fight scene is between Westley (Carey Elwes) and Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin) in the classic tale, The Princess Bride. The scene is perfectly executed; it doesn't matter that it's not realistic or that one can practically see the paint-strokes on the fake backgrounds.

Inigo: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.

During the fight, Inigo soon realizes that Westley, too, is a great and learned master of the sword. They exchange ridiculous banter about the techniques and defenses they are using (which probably don't exist, but again its not important.) Each trick Inigo has up his sleeve is one-upped by the mysterious man in black. Finally, after Westley's theatrical vine-flip is much more ridiculous and impressive than Inigo's move, he has to inquire,

Inigo: Who are you?
Westley: No one of consequence.
Inigo: I must know.
Westley: (matter of factly) Get used to disappointment.
Inigo shrugs in acceptance, and continues.

Finally, when Westley has disarmed his opponent and brought him to his knees, Inigo solemnly asks to be killed quickly.

Westley: I would sooner destroy a stained glass window than an artist like yourself. But, since I can't have you following me either... clack!

He knocks Inigo over the head with the back of his sword and runs off to participate in funny scenes elsewhere.

One of the particularly nice things about this scene is that almost all of the names dropped by the two combatants are real historical fencing masters. They're not used properly or in keeping with their distinct fencing styles, but they're all historical figures.

Here's a quick guide to these fencing masters:

Roberto Bonetti - An Italian fencing master teaching in London during the late 16th century. He was known for his precision in fighting, allowing his opponent to pick which of the buttons on their doublet that he would hit. This habit was immortalized by William Shakespeare in his description of Juliet's cousin Tybalt, "The very butcher of a silk button, a duelist, a duelist!"

Girard Thibault - A French fencing master, Thibault is primarily known for producing the most massive, lavishly illustrated fencing manual of the time, Academie de l'Espee (The Academy of the Sword). Interestingly, his fighting style is the distinct Spanish style of swordplay, La Destreza. He was reviled by the other Spanish masters, one of whom referred to him as "a bastard son of the Spanish school".

Ridolfo Capo Ferro - An Italian fencing master, Capo Ferro is best known for his famous work Gran Simulacro Dell'arte e Dell'uso Della Scherma (Great Representation of the art and of the use of fencing). His fencing style is characterized by careful positioning and a long, fast lunge.

Salvator Fabris - Author of Sienz e Practica d'Arme, Fabris's fencing style is one of the most distinct rapier techniques out there. The fencer bends forward at the waist until their torso is nearly parallel to the ground, and their arms are extended forward towards the opponent. This unusual position allows the fencer to strike the opponent at maximum range, which only exposing the arms and head to attack.

Camillo Agrippa - Agrippa was not a fencing master. Instead, he was an engineer who brought an engineer's precision and simplicity to the complex thicket of Italian fencing. In Trattato di Scienza d'Arme, he simplified the guards and hand positions to 4 each. (Marozzo, an earlier Italian master, used over 30 guards) The impact of his terminology and guards on subsequent masters cannot be overestimated.

Henry de St. Didier - Referred to as "Sainct" in the book The Princess Bride, Sainct Didier wrote the first French fencing treatise, Traite Contenant les Secrets du Premier Livre sur l'Espee Seule etc.

"McBone" is an invention of the author.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.