"The indispensable, indestructible guide for surviving life's sudden turns for the worse." This is the claim that the book makes on the back cover. I'd like to argue the indestructible point, for it seems pretty flimsy to me, but otherwise this is fairly neat. It's filled with all kinds of information that you probably will never need in life but it's good to know anyway, for example, how to land a plane (pg 114) and how to survive if you are in the line of gunfire (pg 143). Don't leave home without it.

The Worst-Case Survival Handbook is a reference book, written by Joshua Piven and David Borgenicht, and published by Chronicle Books. As of this writing, there are three books in the series:

  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook (Yellow cover)
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Travel (Red Cover)
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Sex and Dating (Black Cover)

The books contain real information on such things as:

The information is indeed true, although scholars are still somewhat out on "How to survive a plummeting elevator" and "How to foil a UFO abduction". Still, experts were inquired when the authors were making this book: paramedics, invertibrate specialists, a major in the United States army, stuntmen, even the "Society for the Preservation of Alien Contact Evidence and Geographic Exploration (SPACEAGE)".

In additionn to being useful, the books are also humorous. Just for one example, on the back of each of the books, around the barcode and ISBN number and in small type, there is the following message:

  • Original Edition: The book will explode if scanned.
  • Travel Edition: Book may not be used as a floatation device.
  • Sex and Dating: This book should not be used as a contraceptive device.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.