The Worst-Case Survival Handbook is a reference book, written by Joshua Piven and David Borgenicht, and published by Chronicle Books. As of this writing, there are three books in the series:
- The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook (Yellow cover)
- The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Travel (Red Cover)
- The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Sex and Dating (Black Cover)
The books contain real information on such things as:
The information is indeed true, although scholars are still somewhat out on "How to survive a plummeting elevator" and "How to foil a UFO abduction". Still, experts were inquired when the authors were making this book: paramedics, invertibrate specialists, a major in the United States army, stuntmen, even the "Society for the Preservation of Alien Contact Evidence and Geographic Exploration (SPACEAGE)".
In additionn to being useful, the books are also humorous. Just for one example, on the back of each of the books, around the barcode and ISBN number and in small type, there is the following message:
- Original Edition: The book will explode if scanned.
- Travel Edition: Book may not be used as a floatation device.
- Sex and Dating: This book should not be used as a contraceptive device.