Note: shmOOnkie pOOnks will not be able to continue with The Pilgrim's Progress and is allowing me to pick up where she left off. She sent me the following chapter, Vanity Fair, coding and hardlinks and all (thank you!), just as you see it below. Chapters following this one will be done entirely by me, but I will be following the format shmOOnkie pOOnks has established.


Christian and Faithful have been condemned to die, in the most painful way possible, after their trial in Vanity Fair.

from The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan:

(241)
(Faithful's death)
They therefore brought him out, to do with him according to their law; and first they scourged him, then they buffeted him, then they lanced his flesh with knives; after that, they stoned him with stones, then pricked him with their swords; and last of all, they burned him to ashes at the stake. Thus came Faithful to his end.

(242)
(Faithful ascends to the Celestial gate)
Now I saw, that there stood behind the multitude a chariot and a couple of horses waiting for Faithful, who (so soon as his adversaries had dispatched him) was taken up into it, and straightway was carried up through the clouds with sound of trumpet, the nearest way to the celestial gate.

(243)
(Christian is still alive)
But as for Christian, he had some respite, and was remanded back to prison: so he there remained for a space. But he who overrules all things, having the power of their rage in his own hand, so wrought it about, that Christian for that time escaped them, and went his way.

And as he went, he sang, saying,

"Well, Faithful, thou hast faithfully profest
Unto thy Lord, with whom thou shalt be blest,
When faithless ones, with all their vain delights,
Are crying out under their hellish plights:
Sing, Faithful, sing, and let thy name survive;
For though they killed thee, thou art yet alive."

Back Index Onward

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.