Since its establishment in 1963, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) has adopted bilingualism and biculturalism as the basis of its teaching, giving equal emphasis on both Chinese and English languages, and Eastern and Western cultures. The 134-hectare (331-acre) CUHK campus, located in the suburban area of Sha Tin in the New Territories, is Hong Kong’s largest and greenest university campus. Apart from the idyllic landscape, the university faces a wondrous ocean view of the Tolo Harbour.

CUHK is the only university in Hong Kong which adopts college system. The university is composed of four colleges. Three of them evolved from post-secondary colleges and became a part of the university around the 50’s: New Asia College (found in 1949), Chung Chi College (found in 1951), and the United College (found in 1956). The fourth college, Shaw College was established in 1986.

Faculties:

Faculty of Arts

Faculty of Business Administration

Faculty of Education

Faculty of Engineering

Faculty of Medicine

Faculty of Science

Faculty of Social Science

General Department and Programme information:

Academic Departments: 61

Graduate divisions/boards: 53

Undergraduate programmes offered: 52 major, 35 minor, 4 part-time

Postgraduate programmes offered: 59 doctoral, 114 master, 9 diploma

Total enrolment (March 2004): 16,263

Student body and Teaching unit

The student body is composed of mainly Hong-Kong-born Chinese and a minority from the Mainland China. Cantonese is spoken as the primary language on campus while Mandarin and English are also used. Most of the professors are Chinese and are able to speak any of the following combinations of languages: a. Cantonese and English, b. Mandarin and English, c. Cantonese, English and Mandarin. Of course, this does not rule out the possibility that some can speak languages other than those.

Transportation

The campus transportation relies on the school shuttles with several routes, while the outgoing transportation depends on the KCR train, which connects the isolated university to the bustling and dynamic downtowns, with its station situated at the University Entrance near the Chung Chi College.

Website: http://www.cuhk.edu.hk

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.