A real time stategy (RTS) produced by Blizzard. The three races are the Terran, Protoss, and Zerg. Resource management consists of supply, minerals, and Vespene gas. Minerals are required for almost everything, while gas is needed to advance on the tech tree. Supply is the ability to maintain units, and is known as supply, control, and psi for the Terrans, Zerg, and Protoss, respectively.

The Terrans are humans. Their strengths lie in defense and mobility. Their main buildings are capable of liftoff and relocation, and their Science Vessels are lethal to both Zerg and Protoss.

The Zerg are an insectlike, evolving race, controlled by an Overmind. Their main strength: sheer numbers. Their units regenerate, but that hardly matters when you have 100 cracklings ripping through the enemy's defense.

The Protoss are a psychic race of hunters. They are naturally stronger than the other races, but also much more expensive. It takes a lot of time to develop an army, but it is not unheard of for a squad of upgraded Zealots to rush/rape an enemy base before a defense can be formed.

StarCraft, released by Blizzard, is a very intricate game that has a large fan base. As with many popular online computer games, some colorful language has sprouted up from the players. Some words can be used in other games while others are StarCraft specific. To play StarCraft online, one must have at least a tenuous grasp on this language to communicate with other players. Here are a few of the more popular and pervasive slang terms used by StarCraft enthusiasts.



AC – Allied Chat, a setting by which only players you are allied with can see your messages
AFK - Away From Keyboard(not a good place to be)
BatTerran Firebat
BGH – Big Game Hunters, far and away the most popular multiplayer map on battle.net. Many refer to it as “Big Gay Hunters” due to their disgust for the map and its frequent use.(of course these people use “gay” when “overdone” or “simplistic” would be more appropriate, but I guess those don’t rattle off the tongue as easily)
BnetBattle.net, Blizzard’s service where online multipayer games are played. Battle.net is frequently made a scapegoat when a multiplayer game "lags." The player with the slowest connection is often the first to point fingers by typing "[expletive] Bnet!"
BS(er)Back Stab, turning on a teammate("BSer" being the person doing the stabbing). BS is also a play on the common abbreviation for "bullshit." A game will frequently begin with a player saying, "No BS," which will mean both "no backstabbing" and "no bullshit."
Camper – A player who builds only defenses and refuses to venture into the great unknown for a fight
CCTerran Command Center
Chobo - Korean word (“bad”) transformed into English. Now used more as “newbie”. Korean slang has permeated much of StarCraft culture due the large number of Koreans who play. Some would say that StarCraft is a kind of national obsession for the Koreans.
CowZerg Overlord
Crackling - Zerg Zergling on crack meaning a zergling with full upgrades.
Disc - An awful thing, especially if done on purpose, a Disconnect. Some players intentionally disconnect from a game when they are clearly losing in order to avoid having a loss show up on their stats. Also referred to as a Disco.
DTProtoss Dark Templar
EbayTerran engeneering bay
FFAFree For All, game with no teams
Get Owned – Get beaten resoundingly
Get probed - Get harassed by enemy scouts, so named because the Protoss peon unit is called a "probe"
GG - Good Game, usually said when the battle is almost over. Originally it was reserved for only games that were particularly entertaining, but it has crept into near universal usage at the end of all games
GL HF - Good Luck Have Fun, said before the game
Goon - Protoss Dragoon
Gosu - Korean word (“good”) transformed into English. Means “pro” or “expert”.
HydraZerg Hydralisk
Ling - Zerg Zergling
M&M's - Terran Marines and Medics used in tandem
Natural - Usually the closest (or any) unoccupied expansion base.
PeonTerran SCV, Zerg Drone and/or Protoss Probe (originally worker in WarCraft)
Rine - Terran Marine
Rush - An attack performed extremely early in the game, with basic units. Rushes require very little in the way of tactics or strategy. Quick reflexes and a favorable position are all that's needed. Because of this, many players universally despise Rushes. Players will often proclaim "no rush" at the beginning of a game, but as this is a non-binding agreement, all sensible players should always prepare for a rush.
Toss - Protoss
TvB – Top vs. Bottom, dealing in the game launch screen before a game starts indicating that the players who arrived first will compete against those who arrived later. Similar to “123v456”
Z, T, P - Zerg, Terran and Protoss. Used as ZvT, PvP etc

Starcraft map reviews, if you have doubt in the ability of the review log on battle net and /stats ScorpionBite. That is my user name I use while playing.

Sunken Colony Madness: Use Map Setting 1-8 `depending on version'
Object of the game, kill all opponent's sunken colonies.
How to play: You start with an observer `only 1 if it's the original'. It will drop 1 sunken colony at a time under it, with hydralisks popping up along with it. Red is cheated in every version; he will get 2 more hydras than everyone else per drop. Move your observer around and try to get more sunkens than the other players.
Strategy, Try to make lines of them in a row, trying to take a certain section at the board at a time and slowly move in is the best way to win. Spreading out will make you lose. Do not worry about protecting the sunken colonies and spore colonies you start with, they are almost useless. Surrounding players with sunkens and then sending in your hydralisks from all over the board at one time will win the game for you.
Rating, *9.3 out of 10*

H2K$THE Fastest $ MAP EV2: Melee 1-8
This map is a huge hacked map with great resources. Minerals and/or gasses will start very near your starting base. Sending 1 unit to mine each at a time is smart... It's a normal map other than the starting minerals; try to take out your opponent's first main base and then their income will slow down. Because once your building is lifted off or destroyed you can not make another there.
Rating *8.9 out of 10*

Matrix Defense: Use Map Setting Players 1-5 `many, many versions' Object of the game, last a certain amount of rounds without letting a single unit pass your defense. Air or ground units may cross.
How to play: You will start off with some units and usually a scv. Immediately start building with your scv and try to make an almost blocked off passage. Though in most versions, the computer will start attacking you if you totally block the passage off. Strategy, you can go a few ways with this. Try bunkers all the way across leaving a small exit `putting 1 unit between each bunker' and then repeat zig- zagging all the way down. You can also mass unit, going in the same kind of zig- zagging just with units and more attacking power. Though doing this one takes longer. Place Firebats at the smallest points where they will hit them. Make sure to have all units period on hold position. Doing so will make sure none of your units wonder off into your ally's forces, crossing the line gives the unit to them. Also, have at least 1 detector... They do go invisible, I suggest having 8 turrets.
Note: This map gets extremely boring after a while, though some play it over and over...
Rating *5.8 out of 10*

Turret Defense: Use Map Setting 1-6 `I suggest 3-4'
Object of the game, Similar to Matrix Defense, just all of the units coming at you are only air. Survive a certain amount of rounds, without letting a certain amount of units cross. Depending on level of setting: Hard, Medium, and Easy.
How to play: You start with a scv, and some minerals. Build turrets and start blowing up stuff.
Strategy, not much strategy in this one... Just keep your turrets and units together. Getting a defiler or queen to plague or slow down the units really helps though. Trying different things over and over seems to do the trick. If you have about 40 minutes to play this game is very fun. Though after a while it gets very annoying.
Rating *6.6 out of 10*

Zelda Madness 64: Use Map Setting 1-5,6 depending on version. `I suggest 3-4'
You start with 1, 2, or even 3 civilians to pick units. There are many versions of this game and I find all to be fun. Depending on what way you want to go you must choose a variety of units. If it is the Broodwar version, I highly suggest a few lurkers near your bunker.
Strategy, If and when you hit 100 kills you get a hero unit. You should get at least 2 tanks at your bunker before anything else... You have no idea how annoying it is to attack siege tanks with a lot of hp. I find that Arbiter die too quick to be useful. Getting 1 air hero will help if you hold position near by bunker in case of a siege tank. I suggest you build up major forces and let the other people play attack the others and/or you first. Waiting takes patience but in the long run it is worth it. Great combos: Ghosts/Marines Goliaths/hydralisks Wraiths/ghosts. Scouts suck at ground attack and I suggest not getting them.
You could easily play this map over and over and not get bored.
Rating *7.3 out of 10*

Star"craft (?), n.

Astrology.

[R.]

Tennyson.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.