A merit badge
for Boy scouts
. This is not a required badge for Eagle
. Taken from meritbadge.com:
- Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while playing
sports, including hypothermia; heatstroke; heat exhaustion; frostbite; dehydration;
sunburn; blisters; hyperventilation; bruises; strains; sprains; muscle cramps; broken,
chipped, loosened, or knocked-out teeth; bone fracture; nausea; and suspected injuries to
the back, neck, and head.
- Explain sportsmanship. Tell why it is important. Give several examples of good
sportsmanship in sports. Relate at least one of these to everyday citizenship off the
- Take part for one full season as a member of an organized team in ONE of the following
sports: baseball, basketball, bowling, cross-country, diving, fencing, field hockey,
football, golf, gymnastics, ice hockey, lacrosse, rugby, skating (ice or roller), soccer,
softball, swimming, team handball, tennis, track and field, volleyball, water polo, or
wrestling (or any other recognized team sport approved in advance by your counselor,
except boxing and karate).
- Take part in ONE of the following sports on a competitive basis in two organized meets
or tournaments: archery, badminton, bait or fly casting, bowling, canoeing, cycling,
diving, fencing, fishing, golf, gymnastics, handball, horsemanship, horseshoes, judo,
orienteering, paddleball, rifle or shotgun shooting, sailing, skating (ice or roller),
skiing, swimming, table tennis, tennis, track and field, waterskiing, or wrestling (or any
other recognized sport approved in advance by your counselor, except boxing and karate).*
|This cannot be the same sport used to meet requirement 3.
- Make a set of training rules for the sports you picked. Tell why these rules are
important. Follow these rules. Design exercises for these sports. Keep a record of how you
do in these sports for one season. Show how you have improved.
- Show proper techniques in your two chosen sports.
- Explain the attributes (qualities) of a good team leader and a good team player.
- Draw diagrams of the playing areas for your two sports.
- Explain the rules and etiquette for your two sports. List the equipment needed. Describe
the protective equipment. Tell why it is needed. Tell what it does.