Sev"er (?), v. t. [imp. &. p. p. Severed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Severing.] [OF. sevrer, severer, to separate, F. sevrer to wean, fr. L. separare. See Separate, and cf. Several.]

1.

To separate, as one from another; to cut off from something; to divide; to part in any way, especially by violence, as by cutting, rending, etc.; as, to sever the head from the body.

The angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just. Matt. xiii. 49.

2.

To cut or break open or apart; to divide into parts; to cut through; to disjoin; as, to sever the arm or leg.

Our state can not be severed; we are one. Milton.

3.

To keep distinct or apart; to except; to exempt.

I will sever in that day the land of Goshen, in which my people dwell, that no swarms of flies shall be there. Ex. viii. 22.

4. Law

To disunite; to disconnect; to terminate; as, to sever an estate in joint tenancy.

Blackstone.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sev"er, v. i.

1.

To suffer disjunction; to be parted, or rent asunder; to be separated; to part; to separate.

Shak.

2.

To make a separation or distinction; to distinguish.

The Lord shall sever between the cattle of Israel and the cattle of Egypt. Ex. ix. 4.

They claimed the right of severing in their challenge. Macaulay.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.