Born as Oscar Gutierrez Rubio in San Diego, California on December 12, 1974, Rey Mysterio, Jr. has been transforming the world of wrestling since the mid 1990’s.

He began his career as a teenager in Tijuana training in the Lucha Libre style of wrestling under the legendary Rey Mysterio Sr. Rey Sr. formed such a bond with young Oscar that he offered the young man the use of his name in order to help build his career. Oscar Rubio thus became Rey Mysterio Jr.

Rey made his debut in Ted Turner’s WCW in 1991 as Colibri but soon receded back to the underground stage of ECW. There, Mysterio built up a name for himself as a high-flying, fast paced welterweight. He soon became a well-loved underdog. He was then invited to rejoin WCW as part of it’s blossoming cruiserweight catalog.

In 1996, Rey was given his first chance at a belt, facing Dean Malenko at the Great American Bash. Mysterio was defeated but had proved himself as a worthy opponent. Fans were impressed with his high-flying style. He became known for his flips, spins, and submission moves, as well as his Luche Libra style mask, for which it was a gimmick to try and unmask him.

Mysterio wrestled with WCW until it’s demise and eventual buy-out by Vince McMahon of the WWE. He debuted in the WWE in 2002, where he was deemed a “superstar” and began a short lasting feud with the current big man on campus, Kurt Angle. This gained him notoriety in the WWE- propelling him to many title matches and several belt wins.

In April 2006, he captured the WWE most coveted prize, the World Heavyweight Title in a match against Kurt Angle and Randy Orton at Wrestlemania XXII. He later lost the title to King Booker (aka Booker T) in July.

In November of 2006, Mysterio injured his knee in a match against Chavo Guerrero, Jr., resulting in the need for surgery. At this time, Mysterio took a leave of absence from the world of wrestling in order to spend more time with his family.

Mysterio resides in San Diego with his wife Angie, daughter Aayliah and son Dominic.



Thanks to:
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.